A project to foster the link between migrants from Sierra Leone and their country of origin that will utilize the knowledge and skills from migrants in the Netherlands to innovate the economy in their home country. The idea is to promote sustainable development of the SME-sector (Small and Medium Enterprise) in those countries.
Migrants from Sierra Leone living in the Netherlands to start new companies that can contribute to the solution of a fundamental problem in the development of the economy in Sierra Leone: There is a lack of knowledge, skills and innovative products. This lack can be solved by reversing the brain drain that took place when well-educated Sierra Leoneans left the country and are now living as migrants in the EU. to The plan is to set up new companies or to let existing companies grow.
This project is based on a practical approach, where actually new innovative businesses are established in Sierra Leone through returning migrants as this will have a far bigger positive impact on society in Sierra Leone, than when only capacity building and coaching is foreseen. The activities foreseen are:
- Set up a partnership with Diaspora Organizations, Dutch Businesses and educational institutions in Sierra Leone to carry out this project;
- Mobilize well educated Sierra Leoneans who are interested to take part in the technology transfer;
- Investigate and mobilize Dutch businesses who are interested to expand their “new” technologies to Africa;
- Combine the “new” technologies with the well-educated migrants;
- Implement the return of the migrants and facilitate the set up of new businesses/SME’s (or part of SME’s) in Sierra Leone;
- Evaluate and Disseminate.
It is proposed that this project is carried out by Wanda Foundation in the Netherlands and the Ngopee foundation in Sierra Leone together with partners from the Diaspora-organization, Dutch Businesses and educational institutions in Sierra Leone.
5550 AE Valkenswaard
Tel: +31 (0)40 – 201 2785
Fax: +31 (0)84 – 744 5255
IBAN: NL79RABO 01729.27.226
If you want to support our organisation, we welcome your donation. Since 1 January 2008 is Wanda foundation recognised by the Dutch tax authorities as a General useful organisation (ANBI Algemeen Nut Beogende Instelling). Donations to Wanda foundation can therefore result in a tax reduction for Dutch citizens.